Love Is...The Most Excellent Way
Topic: Love Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12:31– 13:3
- Many people are familiar with 1 Corinthians 13 but few understand the meaning of the chapter & words within it.
- 1 Corinthians 13 has been read many times at weddings.
- 1 Corinthians 13 is very different than Psalm 23.
- 1 Corinthians wasn't written as a piece of standalone material.
- 1 Corinthians 13 is a part of correction to the church of Corinth on practices, behavior, & how to reach the lost.
- Paul was saying in chapters 11-14 "STOP IT!"
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:31b-13:3
Some Scary Realities
1. We can do the whole church thing without love.
- We can go through the motions & not have love be a part of it.
- The gift of tongues --> the Holy Spirit gives the ability to a human in which they were able to speak a different language they have never spoken or learned.
- Paul was not knocking the gift.
- Some people were boasting about the gift while others hadn't received the same gift.
- People do not look at worship the same way God looks at worship
2. We can do ministry & church leadership without love.
- The gift of prophecy --> the ability to proclaim God's Word well.
- When looking for leadership, ask, "How well do they love?"
3. You can make great sacrifices without love.
- Our culture promotes the more you love someone, the more you will spend on them.
- People have mixed emotions about giving large gifts.
- What really matters to God is the reason why someone gives.
- A person can give their very life without love & it won't gain them a single thing.
4. We can do life without love.
- We can all do our jobs, live in marriages, have friendships, etc without love.
The upside --> There's the fact that there are incredible possibilities that run counter to the scary realities.
- All we have to do is include love in what we do.